Mane and Tail falling out

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Mane and Tail falling out

Post by McCurdy Girl on Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:39 pm

I have a 15 year old Tennessee Walker mare. She foaled for us last April. This Spring her mane and tail are falling out at an alarming rate. I never brush or comb her mane/tail. If they are tangled I work in some Cowboy Magic with my fingers. Is she missing some nutrient? At the rate her mane is falling out, she may be bald in weeks.
McCurdy Girl

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Mane and Tail falling out

Post by Dr. Daniel Pike on Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:12 pm

Well,

This is a bit of a problem! My firsty instinct is that you are probably dealing with a bacterial or fungal disease of the hair follicles. If so, you may see some crusty/scabby type lesions at the base of the hair. To remedy this, I would start with bathing these regions with a betadine or chlorhexadine scrub. It is very important that you lather the area up very well, and then let it sit before rinsing. I usually recommend that it stays in contact for 5-7 min prior to rinsing. This should be done daily for 3-4 days abd then every other day.

If the mare is rubbing the hair, you could possibly have an allergic component. If so, you may need to consult your local veterinarian for further work-up. Rubbing the mane and tail could also be caused by parasitic invasion. Let your veterinarian help you with diagnosing the "itchy" horse.

I doubt that this would be a nutritional problem, but if so, it would be beneficial to supplement with something high in omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids. I like to use the Platinum Peformance supplements for these specific needs. These fatty acids may help to develop a slick, shiny coat in addition to a healthy mane and tail.

Good luck

Daniel R Pike DVM
Dr. Daniel Pike

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by McCurdy Girl on Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:07 am

Your advice was great! It only took one treatment with the betadine scrub to see results. By the third treatment all was looking well. Her mane and tail are already beginning to grow back and get thicker. Simple solution. Thank you! Thank you!
McCurdy Girl

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Mane and Tail falling out

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top