extremely uneven horse

View previous topic View next topic Go down

extremely uneven horse

Post by tracyw on Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:47 am

I recently bought a MFT mare who has what the vet called "foal foot" and my natural hoofcare prac called club foot. It's not bad and she has compensated extremely well in her moving. Most likely congenital. The compensation has left her VERY uneven in her shoulders. The normal foot side is much more built up. My question: do I pad the underdeveloped side or do I cut out a relief in a wool pad on the built up side?

tracyw

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: extremely uneven horse

Post by Admin on Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:28 am

<gasp> I tried to split this topic to copy it to the Farrier section and ended up deleting all the responses. I am trying to get it all back, so bear with me. Here was the last response from the Parelli instructor I told you about:

THIS IS ONE OF THOSE QUESTIONS, where you can ask 10 people and get 10 different answers, so I can only tell you about our experience with ICE, and leave the rest up to you and what you want to do...

Ice was an 8 year old Arab with a club foot in the front, resulting in uneven shoulders. His gaits were choppy and irregular, and he was very unathletic... after we tried chiropractic, we tried barefoot, we had minimal success with each, we tried www.healthy-stride.com and Ice was not only sound after his first shoeing (which was a full set, and balanced the hind end first) he was floating. He was a totally different horse. He remained in corrective shoes for 2 full years at $200 per set, every 6 weeks, and is now barefoot, and still sound.

So, it's definitely an alternative, if you need instant results, and don't mind the maintenance. The positives for me were also that he remained balanced even when not being worked or ridden, which is not true if you rely on saddle shimming only and leave the feet unbalanced. I believe I would choose the healthy stride shoes again if I were presented with another club foot, uneven shoulder situation.

www.healthystride.com

Last edited by Admin on Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:05 am; edited 1 time in total
Admin
Admin

View user profile http://goinggaited.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:30 am

I'm so sorry Tracy- I can't get the other responses back. As far as I know, the only one you haven't seen is the one I just posted from the Parelli instructor. For those of you who are just now coming in to this question, there was another response from our saddle fit expert on how to shim the saddle to fit. I'll try to get her to email me her response so I can get that back up.

Admin
Admin
Admin

View user profile http://goinggaited.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top