lameness in pregnant mare

View previous topic View next topic Go down

lameness in pregnant mare

Post by Sunny Admin on Sat Feb 20, 2010 4:17 pm

Dr Pike:

I have a 6 YO TWH mare that is in foal. Due date is July 6th,2010. A week ago, I went down to feed her early in the morning and she was standing still not offering to run up to greet me as usual. I knew something was wrong. I called my local vet who came right over. My mare was not wanting to walk and was giving to her left hind leg. He gave her an IV inj of antiinflamm and pain med and had me give her Bute BID for 4 days. He thought she might be Tying Up. She gets limited activity as I have not riden her since before we got her in foal. The next few days, She did seem to be better although you could still note her giving to that left hind leg. I had an equine chiropractor come & ck her and do some manipulations which she seemed to enjoy. She has continued to eat/drink just fine. I notice she gives more now to that left hind leg when she has to walk up a slight incline.I tried to watch to see if she urinated dark colored urine, but, never could catch her urinating. I would appreciate any info you could give me as I truly love this mare! Oh...she gets fed soaked beet pulp with alittle grain BID and free choice hay. Thanks!

Diane Wright

Sweetwater, TN
Sunny Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: lameness in pregnant mare

Post by Dr. Daniel Pike on Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:20 pm

Diane,

Sounds like you have a moderate-severe lameness that needs further work-up. As a general rule 75-85 % of acute onset, severe lameness are located within the foot. Hoof testers shouls be applied to rule out sole bruising, sub-solar abscesses, etc. and this assesment should have been made under intital presentation by your veterinarian. Short courses of anti-inflammatories will buy you some time and help minor lamenesses, such as bruises, strains, sprains, etc.

It sounds as though your mare will require a further work-up includeing what is call peri-neural nerve blocks. To do this, a local anesthetic is injected into selective areas of the leg in close proximity of nerves. This injection blocks sensory nerve transmission. We use a series of these "nerve blocks" starting low on the leg and working our way up, unitl soundness is obtained. Once soundness is obtained, this gives us a region of which to further investigate. Without this, it may be very difficult to determine exactly where the pain is coming from.

I would pursue a more aggressive lameness work-up. If you tell me where you live, or near what large towns, I may be able to reccomend a Veterinarian in which to go to for this type of exam.

Good luck!

Daniel Pike, DVM
Dr. Daniel Pike

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top