Supplements

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Supplements

Post by Sunny Admin on Sat Feb 20, 2010 4:23 pm

Dear Dr. Pike,

I have a question about supplements.. there are so many out there but sometimes information about their use is limited. In my case, I’ve got a healthy 13 yr. old Walkaloosa gelding who exhibited a cresty neck, High Anxiety, a tendency to founder and was an extremely easy keeper. I was looking for a calming agent, since his high anxiety was the symptom that caused the most trouble in our life together. In my search, I came upon quiessence (Magnesium, chromium & B vitamins) which claimed to treat what the makers referred to as a metabolic disorder responsible for all these symptoms. I took a chance, and ordered it.. and it has given amazing Results! It has addressed every issue that it claimed to solve. My gelding is looking better and is less anxious than ever. I wondered if the miraculous change was just perception—or wishful thinking-- so when I ran out at one point, I didn’t reorder and watched my horse closely. His high anxiety came back within days! That was enough to convince me, and he’s been on it daily since. My question is one that I cannot get answered anywhere… why does this supplement work and can he stay on it indefinitely? I wouldn’t want to compromise his health, but I’m convinced that it makes our lives much easier.

Thank you,

T. H.
Sunny Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Supplements

Post by Dr. Daniel Pike on Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:24 pm

Tim,
Interesting story!! Although I am not familiar with the supplement you are referring to, there are many 'neutraceuticals' available to treat or help a wide variety of problems. Some are certainly better and more thoroughly researched than others, but very few have convincing evidence through studies to show statistical evidence that they make a difference. As far as your particular substance, your effect is largely due to the Magnesium, as it has cardiovascular effects that may produce a mild calming effect. I think it would safe to remain on it indefinitely, assuming you do not see any outward signs of discomfort or distress when using this supplement.

My findings are that many of these supplements may be helpful to a few horses, but few supplements like this are helpful to large numbers of horses. So, it takes trial and error to find out what may work for your individual situation. Good Luck!!

Daniel R Pike DVM
Dr. Daniel Pike

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top